- Stop him/her physically, set aside.
- Take your hand / embrace / hold it close to you.
- Make eye contact.
- Give water or wash her/his face. Insist on taking at least a sip. Then another.
- Show how to breathe: “Breathe with me. Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale.
- In case of severe affect, shake, pat on the cheeks or other parts of the body.
- Say, “Now it will pass, now calm down, I’m here.”
- You need to speak loud, clear and firm. Phrases are just simple, 2-3 words. It is important for you to be as calm and balanced as possible.
The advice was prepared by Daria Selivanova, a psychotherapist for the International assistance headquarters for Ukrainians and the “Bez paniky” psychological center.