Prepared by Denis Bohush, military and political expert, International Headquarters for Assistance to Ukrainians
General description of the situation. Russia launched a war against Ukraine on February 24, 2022 (35th day of the war). They began with a rocket-bomb attack on 17 Ukrainian cities, first on military infrastructure and now on civilian infrastructure.
Today, March 30, the thirty-fifth day of the heroic opposition of the Ukrainian people to the Russian military invasion has begun.
The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation announced a reduction in military activity in the Kiev and Chernihiv areas. The reason for this is that “Kyiv is a decision-making center for which conditions must be created for further normal work.” At the same time, the so-called “withdrawal of troops” is probably a rotation of individual units and aims to mislead the military leadership of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and create a misconception about the occupiers’ refusal to plan to surround the city of Kiev.
On March 29, the armed forces of the Russian Federation carried out an air strike on the territory of Brovarsky district of Kyiv region. The shell hit warehouses where food, household chemicals and other consumer goods were stored.
In addition, last night the enemy continued to carry out air and missile strikes in the areas of Kreminna, Popasna, Rubizhne and Mariupol. During the fighting, fighters of the Azov Regiment, who are heroically defending Ukrainian Mariupol, claimed that a field commander close to Kadyrov, ex-major of the Russian National Guard Ruslan Geremeyev, was seriously wounded.
Due to strong resistance from Ukraine’s armed forces, Russian dictator Vladimir Putin has promised to release civilians he holds hostage from Mariupol only if the city’s defenders hand him over.
The occupiers struck air strike across Nikolaev, punched through the building of the Nikolaev regional public administration. SES units reported 7 dead, another 18 people were rescued from the rubble, and a total of 22 people were injured.
Mayor Starokostiantyniv (Khmelnytsky region) said that the local airfield was again shelled by Russians.
It also became known that the launch point of the missiles that hit Kyiv and Khmelnytsky regions is located in Belarus, namely in the forest near the agricultural town of Velykyi Bor (Khoiniki district, Gomel region). Belarusians themselves write about this in their Telegram channels.
Results of negotiations in Istanbul
Russia has announced a “drastic” reduction in military activity in Kyiv and Chernihiv.
Putin’s adviser Vladimir Medinsky described the talks in Istanbul as “constructive”. The Russian delegation also stated the possibility of a meeting between Presidents Putin and Zelensky at the same time as the initialing of the peace treaty by the foreign ministers.
A member of the Ukrainian delegation in Istanbul, David Arahamiya, spoke about Kyiv’s proposals:
- Ukraine is working on a format for a new system of security guarantees, a new international agreement.
- Guarantor countries, similar to Article 5 of NATO, will hold consultations for three days. The guarantors can be the countries of the UN Security Council, the United States, France, Turkey, Germany, Canada, Poland, Israel.
- Issues with ORDLO and Crimea are unresolved, and guarantors will not work in these areas. Some countries have already given their prior consent.
Ukraine passed these proposals to the Russian side, the representative of Russia Vladimir Medinsky promised to pass them to the Kremlin.
Adviser to the Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine, another member of the negotiating team Mykhailo Podoliak said:
- Implementation of decisions will follow the procedure: referendum, then ratification of the parliaments of the guarantor countries;
- Crimea is a separate clause of the agreement. Negotiations on the status of the peninsula will be held with Russia for 15 years, during which time there will be no military action.
Losses of military personnel and military equipment of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation
- Military personnel – approximately 17,300 persons,
- tanks – 605
- armored combat vehicles – 1723
- artillery systems – 305
- means of Air Defense – 54
- aircraft – 131
- helicopters – 131
- automotive technology – 1184
- ships / boats – 7
- tanks with fuel and lubricants – 75
- Unmanned aerial vehicles of operational and tactical level – 81
Cases of resistance from the local population
On Tuesday, March 29, on Chornovil Avenue in Lviv, a protest action took place against the Auchan supermarket chain, which continues to operate in the Russian market. The company pays taxes to the aggressor, from which the state finances the purchase of weapons and maintains its army. Remaining on the Russian market, Auchan is financing the war against Ukraine.
The UN said that as of the 33rd day of the war in Ukraine, 1,179 civilians had died. Another 1,860 Ukrainians were injured. But we understand that these data in reality can be much different.