War always leaves many troubles behind, one of which strikes to the depths. These are small children who are the only ones left in this world.
According to the Family Code of Ukraine and Article 283. Adoption by a foreigner of a child who is a citizen of Ukraine provides:
- Adoption by a foreigner in Ukraine of a child who is a citizen of Ukraine shall be carried out on the general grounds established by Chapter 18 of this Code.
- A child who is a citizen of Ukraine may be adopted by a foreigner if he / she has been registered with the central executive body implementing the state policy in the field of adoption and protection of children’s rights for at least one year and has reached five years of age.
Adoption can be carried out before the expiration of this period, as well as until the child reaches the age of five, if:
1) the adoptive parent is a relative of the child;
2) the child suffers from a disease included in a special list of diseases approved by the central body of executive power, which ensures the formation of state policy in the field of health care;
3) all siblings are adopted into one family, if one of them has reached five years of age and is registered with the central executive body implementing state policy in the field of adoption and protection of children’s rights, at least one year;
4) foreigners have expressed a desire to adopt a child who is a brother or sister of a child previously adopted by them.
The Central Executive Body, which implements the state policy in the field of adoption and protection of children’s rights, sends a request to the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine to inspect foreigners who adopt a child who is a citizen of Ukraine for the presence or absence of information. compromising nature in the law enforcement agencies of other states and the General Secretariat of Interpol.
- Adoption by foreigners is carried out under the condition of providing the child with rights in the amount not less than that established by the laws of Ukraine.
- An adopted child shall retain the citizenship of Ukraine until he or she reaches the age of eighteen.
An adopted child has the right to preserve his or her national identity in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child and other international treaties.
Only those children who have been officially granted the status of an orphan or a child deprived of parental care are subject to adoption.